60 diners at Noma, Copenhagen struck with vomiting bug after employee "cooked food while ill"

60 diners at world's best restaurant struck with vomiting bug after employee 'cooked food while ill'

By
Hugo Gye

PUBLISHED:

16:53 GMT, 8 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

16:54 GMT, 8 March 2013

More than 60 diners who ate at a restaurant commonly thought to be the best in the world have been struck ill.

Customers at Danish restaurant Noma, in Copenhagen, were apparently infected with norovirus during their 290-a-head meals.

It is believed that the virus started when a restaurant employee came in to work while sick.

Elite restaurant: But diners at Noma in Copenhagen were struck ill after eating there last month

Elite restaurant: But diners at Noma in Copenhagen were struck ill after eating there last month

The local food authority said it had launched an investigation into the elite eatery after 63 people who ate there last month complained of apparent food poisoning.

Restaurant manager Peter Kreiner said the business was trying to investigate the source of infection.

However, Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet said that a member of the kitchen staff had been preparing food while ill and subsequently vomited.

The worker apparently alerted the restaurant to the incident within a week, but it did not respond to his report.

Organic: The 290-a-head restaurant is dependent on natural and locally sourced ingredients

Organic: The 290-a-head restaurant is dependent on natural and locally sourced ingredients

The official investigation found that Noma did not disinfect the kitchen in good time to stop the bug spreading.

It also criticised the restaurant for not allowing workers to wash their hands with hot water, which is more effective at killing germs.

Food officials have ordered Noma to tighten up its hygiene procedures in future.

The restaurant is known for relying on fresh and locally sourced products.

It currently holds two Michelin stars, and has been named the best restaurant in the world three times.

The set menu at the restaurant costs 1,500 kroner (175), with matching wines at 1,000 kroner (115).

The embarrassing incident is reminiscent of a similar outbreak at the Fat Duck in Bray, where 240 diners fell ill in 2009.