Andrew Mitchell launches libel suit against The Sun for breaking "Plebgate" story


Police find 'no evidence' that officers lied in Plebgate row as Andrew Mitchell launches libel suit against The Sun for story that cost him his job
Ex Tory Chief Whip Andrew Mitchell issued writ against The Sun yesterdayLawyer says it is to address 'campaign of vilification by the Sun against him'It was claimed he called police 'plebs' in spat as he left Downing St last year
'A number of potential actions being considered' against other newspapers
'Initial papers' regarding the row were passed to detectives yesterday

.

Those arrested include a 52-year-old from the DPG who was held on December 15 on suspicion of misconduct in public office and bailed until April.

Two 46-year-olds from the same command were held on January 31 and February 1 for allegedly passing information to the media and were bailed until May.

All three remain suspended. A 23-year-old man who does not work for the police was also arrested and bailed until May.

The 'Plebgate' row ignited when Mr Mitchell was accused of a heated rant against officers as he left Downing Street on September 19.

Pressure intensified after The Daily Telegraph published a police log of the incident, which claimed he called officers 'plebs' and swore at them repeatedly.

He insisted he did not use the words attributed to him, and later said he was the victim of a deliberate attempt to 'toxify' the Tories and ruin his career.

An email from a civilian witness backing up the police account of events has also since been called into question.