Army doctor found guilty of dishonest conduct over the death of Baha Mousa after failing to spot dying Iraqi detainee's 93 injuriesBaha Mousa suffered 93 injuries following beating by British soldiersDoctor Derek Keilloh maintained he did not
see victim’s broken ribs and other injuriesMedic was just 28 at time of incident and had only been in job eight weeksHe was today found guilty of misleading and dishonest conduct



10:11 GMT, 17 December 2012

A former Army doctor failed to protect Iraqi detainees and acted dishonestly after the death of a prisoner, medical watchdogs ruled yesterday.

Baha Mousa, 26, a hotel night receptionist who had been arrested by British soldiers in Basra, suffered 93 injuries while in custody.

But Dr Derek Keilloh, an Army doctor with the 1st Battalion, Queen’s Lancashire Regiment, claimed he saw no evidence of injuries as he tried to resuscitate him.

Dr Derek Keilloh pictured today at the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service in Manchester, where he was found guilty of misleading and dishonest conduct

Dr Derek Keilloh pictured today at the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service in Manchester, where he was found guilty of misleading and dishonest conduct

Although Mr Mousa was collapsed on the floor with soldiers standing around him, Dr Keilloh said he saw only a little dried blood around his nose.

However Dr Keilloh, now a GP in Northallerton, North Yorkshire, was found guilty of misleading and dishonest conduct at a hearing of the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service.

It will decide today whether his fitness to practice is impaired as a result of the findings. If so, he could be struck off the medical register.

On September 14, 2003, British troops found AK47s, sub-machine guns, fake ID cards and military clothing. Mr Mousa and other detainees were arrested at a hotel in Basra and brought in for questioning.

Mr Mousa was hooded with a sandbag and assaulted. His 93 injuries included broken ribs and a broken nose.

Tragic: Hotel receptionist Baha Mousa with his family members

Victim: Hotel receptionist Baha Mousa, pictured with his
late wife and their two children, was beaten to death while in Army custody in
Basra in 2003

Another detainee, Ahmad Maitari, described hearing Mr Mousa shout out: ‘I’m going to die! Why do you do this I do not support Saddam.’

At around 9.30pm on September 15, 36 hours after Mr Mousa was arrested, Dr Keilloh was summoned to the detention area. He was told it was a medical emergency. Soldiers were standing around Mr Mousa and one medic blurted out: ‘Look at the state of him’.

Dr Keilloh and his team tried for half an hour to resuscitate Mr Mousa before he was declared dead.

Dr Keilloh, who was 28 at the time and originally from Aberdeen, denied dishonesty and misconduct in his treatment of Mr Mousa and other civilian detainees.

But the tribunal said the extent of the injuries ‘must have been apparent’ to Dr Keilloh. It found he failed to conduct an adequate examination, failed to assess other detainees or protect them from further mistreatment and failed to tell senior officers what was going on.

Dr Derek Keilloh arrives at the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service in Manchester

Iraqi hotel receptionist Baha Mousa, who was beaten to death by British soldiers in Basra in 2003

Incident: Dr Derek Keilloh, left, was found guilty by the General Medical Hearing after he was accused of concealing the injuries inflicted on Baha Mousa,
right, in Iraq in 2003

The panel said he engaged in ‘misleading and dishonest’ conduct when, at subsequent courts martial and a public inquiry, he maintained under oath he saw no injuries to Mr Mousa.

Lawyers for Dr Keilloh said he would make no comment until the hearing was finished.

In 2006, Corporal Donald Payne of the Queen’s Lancashire Regiment became the first member of the British armed forces to be convicted of a war crime after pleading guilty at a court martial to inhumanely treating civilians in the incident.

He was cleared of manslaughter and perverting the course of justice but dismissed from the Army and jailed for a year.

Six other soldiers were cleared of all charges. A public inquiry strongly criticised the ‘corporate failure’ by the Ministry of Defence.

In July, 2010, the MoD agreed to pay 2.83million in compensation to the families of Mr Mousa and nine other Iraqi men abused by British troops.