Boy, 2, rushed to hospital with serious
burns after drinking caustic soda from bottle he grabbed from shop
shelf while mother wasn't lookingToddler is in a serious but stable condition in Manchester Children's HospitalA joint investigation has been launched by the police and trading standardsThe boy had been in a Moss Side cash and carry when he drank the chemical
13:48 GMT, 17 January 2013
15:04 GMT, 17 January 2013
A young boy has been admitted to hospital with burns to his throat and stomach after he drank caustic soda while in a shop.
Police were called shortly before 7.35pm on Monday by staff at the Manchester Children's Hospital after the two-year-old boy was admitted.
The toddler was shopping with his mother when they went into the Safa cash and carry shop in Claremont Road in the Moss Side area of Manchester, on Sunday, a police spokesman said.
Serious but stable: The toddler was taken to Royal Manchester Children's Hospital with throat burns
The child was strapped into his push chair and when his mother was not looking he reached over to a bottle containing caustic soda, took the top off and drank some.
The toddler remains in hospital today where his condition is described as serious but stable.
A joint investigation by Greater Manchester Police and Cheshire East Council Trading Standards is now under way.
Superintendent Sarah Jones, from the South Manchester Division, said: 'Caustic soda is a highly toxic chemical commonly found in drain and oven cleaners.
'If it is touched, inhaled or swallowed it can cause severe burns. This little boy took a drink from a bottle and is now seriously ill in hospital.
'I want to take this opportunity to remind people when storing products of this nature to make sure the lids of the bottles are on tightly, keep them in a cool place and out of reach from children, preferably in a locked cupboard.'