Dominique Strauss-Kahn 'pays off maid in sex assault case… with a 2m loan from his estranged wife'
The agreement brokered by lawyers for the 63-year-old former head of the International Monetary Fund will mark the end of a sordid sagaNafissatou Diallo, will 33, sign a
legal agreement dropping a civil law suit against Strauss-Kahn, once
tipped as a future French presidentMay 2011 sex assault scandal cost Strauss-Kahn his job, his political career and his marriage
00:39 GMT, 1 December 2012
Dominique Strauss-Kahn is to get a loan of almost 2million from his estranged wife to help pay off the New York hotel maid he was accused of sexually assualting.
An out-of-court deal has reportedly been agreed between the former head of the International Monetary Fund and Nafissatou Diallo, 33.
It is expected the agreement will see her dropping a civil lawsuit she pursued against him after a criminal prosecution collapsed last year.
With no income or savings, Strauss-Kahn will have to ask
multi-millionaire heiress Anne Sinclair, his 64-year-old wife who left
him in the summer, for half of the money
Accuser: Nafissatou Diallo maintained her claims the she was the victim of a 'violent, sadistic attack,' despite criminal charges being dropped
The French newspaper Le Monde reported yesterday that the pair would meet a judge in New York next Friday to sign the deal.
'The discussions have been giong on for weeks, months,' said Michele Saban, a friend of Strauss-Kahn, 63, who saw him recently.
'The agreement should be confirmed at the start of next week. We are moving towards the end of a tragedy.'
Le Monde revealed yesterday that the
man once tipped as a future president of France has turned to his
ex-wife, Anne Sinclair, to help him fund the settlement.
Stauss-Kahn has travelled to New York
from his home in Paris on a number of occasions in the past month to
broker the deal with Miss Diallo's representatives aimed at making her
'quietly' drop her case say friends.
'According to his confidants, he must
give $6million (.7million) to the woman who has accused him of sexual
assault,' Le Monde reported. 'According to friends, he has confided that
he personally does not have this sum.
'He has therefore told his family that he will be getting a bank loan of $3million (1.8million).
'His wife Anne Sinclair, from whom he has been living apart since the summer, should also lend the remaining $3million.'
Miss Sinclair, also 63, a heiress and
former television presenter who now runs a Paris website, originally
put up a 624,000 deposit and 3.1million bond to get Strauss-Kahn out
of the notorious Rikers Island prison in May 2011 after his arrest at
the Sofitel hotel in Manhattan.
At the time, she insisted her husband
was innocent, but the pair split up after Miss Diallo's civil case
accused Strauss-Kahn of a 'violent and sadistic attack, and humiliating
and degrading behaviour which was an affront to the dignity of women'.
Battered: Dominique Strauss-Kahn lost his political career and his job as the head of the IMF over allegations he tried to rape a hotel maid
The couple who have a daughter Camille, had been married for 20 years.
Strauss-Kahn also faces legal trouble
closer to home. He has been charged with aggravated pimping in a
prostitution racket at the Carlton Hotel in Lille.
A judge will rule on whether that case proceeds later this month.
Miss Diallo alleged that Stauss-Kahn forced her to perform a sex act in his suite at the Manhattan hotel on May 14 last year.
The criminal prosecution fell apart
after doubts emerged about her credibility as a witness and the
attempted rape charges against Strauss-Kahn were eventually dropped.
He has maintained that the sexual
encounter was consensual, although he admitted in a television interview
after his return to France that he regretted his 'moral error'.
Strauss-Kahn filed his own
counter-suit against the maid earlier this year, claiming Miss Diallo's
accusations had destroyed his career and harmed his reputation.
The 3.7million agreement should mark
the end of the sordid saga, although Strauss-Kahn's lawyers last night
described reports of the settlement as 'fanciful'.