Father-of-three who suffered horrific burns after using petrol to start a bonfire in his garden dies from his injuriesDr Darryl Peel, 51, died after accident which left him with 80 per cent burnsGP ignited petrol fumes whilst preparing a bonfire at his Suffolk home
Daily Mail Reporter
21:02 GMT, 27 February 2013
21:04 GMT, 27 February 2013
Fatal accident: Dr Darryl Peel died three weeks after the accident which left him with severe burns
A man has died after suffering horrific burns as he was caught in a fireball lighting a bonfire in his garden.
Dr Darryl Peel, 51, was preparing the pile of wood in his Suffolk home when a spark is believed to have set the petrol can ablaze.
The father-of-three suffered around 80 per cent burns in the accident at his five bedroom home in Huntingfield near Halesworth, on February 6.
Dr Peel, a GP for the medical practice in nearby Framlingham, managed to put out the flames and stumbled into his house to treat his burns.
He was flown by air ambulance to the specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, Essex, where he was put in an induced coma after surgery.
His wife Susie and teenage children were warned that it was 'touch and go' whether he would survive. He died on Tuesday nearly three weeks after the accident.
An East of England Ambulance Service spokeswoman said he had suffered 'extensive burns' to his legs, hands and face.
Dr Peel's wife Susie, 47, said she believed her husband had primed the bonfire before setting it alight, but a spark had then set the nearby petrol can ablaze.
Mrs Peel added: ‘He managed to get back to the house, take his clothes off and douse himself with cold water.
‘The ambulance and the air ambulance arrived very quickly. They did a tremendous job.’
Mrs Peel said she hoped the accident would serve as a warning to others, not to use accelerants like petrol when starting fires.
She said: ‘We now know this accident happened when he primed a bonfire, thought he had put the can in safety, but did not realise he was standing in a cloud of petrol vapour.
‘If it's possible for this appalling accident to serve any purpose it would be that nobody who reads this ever risks using any form of accelerant in connection with a fire under any circumstances and no matter how careful they think they have been.’
Dr Peel worked as a GP in Halesworth for ten years until 2003 when he emigrated to Australia with his family.
Tragedy: Dr Peel was put in a coma at Broomfield Hospital after the February 6 accident and died earlier today, nearly three weeks later, from the injuries he suffered
But he returned to Suffolk a year later and joined the Framlingham Surgery.
Mrs Peel described him as a 'very much loved GP' who would be stopped by six or seven people wanting a chat with him every time he went out in Halesworth.
Dr Peel returned to work at the Framlingham surgery last November after a year's illness.
His wife added: ‘It is just so sad that this awful accident happened after he fought very hard to get back to fitness and work at the job he loves.’
She also thanked Dr Peel's friends, patients and colleagues for their messages of support.
Dr Charles Wright, the senior partner at the practice, said in a message on the surgery website: ‘It is with great sadness that I have to announce the death of Dr Darryl Peel.
‘Dr Peel was badly injured in a bonfire accident at his home on Wednesday 6 February. He was taken by Air Ambulance to the specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford.
‘Despite the excellent care that he received, unfortunately Dr Peel was not able to recover from his extensive injuries and died on Tuesday 26th February.
‘Our thoughts are with his wife Susie, and their three teenage children at this very sad time.
‘Dr Peel will be missed greatly by both staff and patients at the surgery. Patients of Dr Peel will continue to be looked after by the other doctors at the practice.’