Strauss-Kahn reaches settlement with hotel maid who says former IMF boss sexually assaulted her in hotel suiteDetails of settlement are confidential but amount could run into the millions
21:35 GMT, 10 December 2012
Dominique Strauss-Kahn has today reached a settlement with the hotel maid who claimed he sexually assaulted her, bringing the 18-month-long saga to an end.
The agreement is confidential yet the amount could run into millions of
dollars in return for Nafissatou Diallo dropping her civil lawsuit
against the former head of the International Monetary Fund.
The settlement, made in the New York State Supreme Court in the Bronx on Monday, was previously reported to be for $6 million, although Strauss-Kahn's lawyers have denied this.
French newspaper Le Monde reported that Strauss-Kahn will ask his former wife, multimillionaire Anne Sinclair, for half of the money and the rest will come from a bank loan, as he has no savings.
Scroll down for video
Settled: Former IMF head Dominique Strauss-Kahn, pictured in Paris on Monday, has reached a settlement with the nurse who accused him of a sexual assault last year
The agreement stems from an encounter between the maid and Strauss-Kahn at his hotel suite in May 2011.
Diallo, 33, told police that he attacked her at the Sofitel Hotel in Manhattan and made her to perform oral sex, causing her physical and emotional damage.
The scandal forced Strauss-Kahn to
resign his post as head of one of the world's most influential finance
organisations and wrecked his hopes of running for president in his
Prosecutors initially expressed confidence in the evidence, including DNA that showed a sexual encounter.
they dropped the case in August 2011 after developing concerns about
her credibility, including what they said were inconsistencies in her
account of what happened immediately following the incident. She said
she always told the truth about the encounter.
Reaching a deal: Nafissatou Diallo, who sued Dominique Strauss-Kahn for sexual assault, arrives at court
Settlement: The amount in the agreement between Strauss-Khan and Diallo (seen Monday) is confidential
The court date on Monday came less than
two weeks after it was widely reported that the pair had negotiated a
settlement after months of haggling.
Diallo smiled at a brief appearance on the steps of the court to 'thank my supporters'. Strauss-Kahn was pictured leaving his apartment in Paris on Monday and was represented in court by attorneys.
Strauss-Kahn's lawyers acknowledged late last month there had been settlement talks, though they dismissed a French newspaper's report that he had agreed to pay $6 million as 'flatly false'.
resolution of the civil case brings Strauss-Kahn closer to ending his
legal troubles, which have persisted since his return to France.
Coming to a decision: Diallo appears in court in New York with her lawyer Kenneth Thompson on Monday
All smiles: Diallo looked happy with teh agreement as she left court and briefly spoke to thank her supporters
He is awaiting a decision by a French court on his
request to halt an inquiry to determine whether he should stand trial on
pimping charges related to sex parties attended by him and by
He says he attended 'libertine' gatherings but did not know that anyone was paid for sex. A French court will rule on whether to throw the charges out on December 19.
has quietly begun to resume his career in recent months, delivering
speeches at private conferences and setting up a consulting firm in
Paris. But adding further to his turmoil, he and his wife, journalist Ann Sinclair, separated.
Diallo, 33, a Guinean immigrant and
widowed mother of a teenage girl, also saw her life upended after she
made the claims against Strauss-Kahn in 2011.
Stony-faced: Strauss-Kahn was pictured outside his Paris home on Monday while the settlement was inked
New love: He was spotted visiting Venice with his new girlfriend Myriam Aouffir over the weekend
She was whisked into protective
custody with her daughter for weeks in a hotel and has still not
returned to the job she held for three years at the hotel.
She is on workers' compensation,
according to the hotel chain. Her lawyers have said Strauss-Kahn tore a
ligament in her shoulder in the attack, which he disputes.
Strauss-Kahn, 63, filed a
countersuit earlier this year against Diallo for defamation for $1
million. He has said the sexual encounter was consensual but has
admitted it was a 'moral error.'
VIDEO: Strauss-Kahn, hotel maid settle civil lawsuit in Bronx court
'css' : “videoplayer-large”,
'autoplay' : false,
'muted' : false,
'adUrl' : “http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/adssz=8×8&iu=%2F7023%2Fdm.video%2Fdm_video_news&ciu_szs=&impl=s&gdfp_req=1&env=vp&output=xml_vast2&unviewed_position_start=1&url=[referrer_url]&correlator=[timestamp]”,
'playerId' : “1989148206001”,
'playerKey' : “AQ~~,AAAAAFSL1bg~,CmS1EFtcMWELN_eSE9A7gpcGWF5XAVmI”,
'objId' : “rcpv32029”,
'videoPlayer' : “2026739060001”,
'width' : 636,
'height' : 358,
'linkBaseURL' : “http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246033/DSK-scandal-Strauss-Kahn-reaches-settlement-hotel-maid-Nafissatou-Diallo.html”