'We heard gunshots… we found her in a pool of blood': Relatives describe how British girl, 8, was fatally shot in head on family holiday to Jamaica
Imani Green, of London, shot on Friday night in Duncans, Trelawny ParishGirl abroad for winter holiday with mother Donna, 47, and sister Jamila, 19
Struck in head by bullet from 9mm pistol and hit in shoulder by second bullet

Leslie Larson and Mark Duell


05:04 GMT, 13 January 2013



11:55 GMT, 13 January 2013

Relatives today described the dramatic scenes when an eight-year-old girl was shot dead on a family holiday in Jamaica after an assailant opened fire at a grocery store.

Imani Green, of Balham, south-west London, was at her cousin's small shop on the island's north coast, in the town of Duncans in Trelawny Parish, when violence broke out during an argument.

The girl – abroad for a winter holiday with her mother Donna, 47, and sister Jamila, 19 – was struck in the head by a bullet from the shooter's 9mm pistol and then hit in the shoulder by a second bullet.


Holiday: Imani Green, eight, was on holiday with her older sister and mother on the north coast of Jamaica in the town on Duncans in the Trelawny Parish

‘We heard gunshots,’ Imani's sister
told BBC News of Friday evening’s incident. ‘We ran outside and shouted
“Imani, Imani, Imani”. I picked her up off the ground and realised she
was still breathing.’

She managed to flag down a car, which drove them to hospital. ‘The rest is history,’ she added.

Imani, who suffered from sickle cell
anaemia, was with three relatives in the family's shop when a gunman
wearing a hoodie entered and began shooting.

Witnesses said the young girl was
deliberately targeted in the attack. Other family members were nearby
and rushed to scene when they heard the gunfire.

They found the little girl, still breathing, in a pool of blood. She was taken to the hospital but died before they arrived.


Family: The girl was visiting relatives in the small town of Duncans, a rural area on the north coast of the Caribbean island

'I picked her up and flagged down a
taxi. We took her to hospital to try to save her life but it was too
late,' Jamila told the Sun.

Her grandmother, Sandra Fisher, 54, said they 'found her in a pool of blood. It was horrible.'

The other family members in the shop,
two women and one man, were also wounded. They were hospitalised and in
stable condition. Her mother was described as inconsolable after the

Imani's father, Richard – who had
remained in Britain over the holiday – was similarly overcome with grief
and collapsed when he was informed via telephone that his young
daughter had been killed.

'He’s in a bad way. Imani was his
life,' Ms Fisher said.

There was no
report on if the gunman had been apprehended or indication on a motive
for the crime.