Inside the seafront sweetshop where filthy saucepans were left on cooker caked with food and rubbish piled highPictures show filthy conditions in the kitchen of sweet shop Love to Fudge
Owner Lucy Gillian Kappes pleaded to three hygiene offencesShe was fined 1,050 at Scarborough Magistrates CourtThe seafront shop remains open for business
14:03 GMT, 7 February 2013
15:56 GMT, 7 February 2013
A seaside sweetshop owner has been fined after her premises were found covered in old food that had cemented itself onto cookers and work surfaces – but the shop remains open for business.
Health inspectors found that the food preparation area in the Love to Fudge shop in Scarborough, North Yorkshire, breached several food hygiene laws.
Pictures taken when the shop was visited show saucepans on top of a cooker that has food burned onto it and what is believed to be fudge or caramel pouring over the side of work surfaces.
Grotty: Kitchen equipment is pictured covered in food and dirt at the Love to Fudge sweetshop on Scarborough seafront
Filthy: Dirty saucepans sit on top of a grubby cooker, left, while the fridge is seen covered in filth in the shop's food preparation area, right
Shop owner Lucy Gillian Kappes has been fined 1,050 on three counts relating to cleanliness of the premises, the fittings and equipment, and the potential for food contamination.
The pictures also show a dirty electric fly killer full of dead insects and a batch of unwrapped fudge balancing on some packaging with a dirty step ladder leaning on it.
Kappes' shop was visited by a hygiene officer from Scarborough Borough Council who told her to clean the kitchen or face prosecution.
However, when they returned they discovered that the problem had not been rectified and the decision was taken to prosecute.
The court heard how the floor surface in the food preparation room was dirty with accumulations of debris, food waste and old packaging.
The walls in the back room of the shop, which sells fudge, chocolates and sweets, were also dirty with dried-on food and grease.
Unhygienic: Grime pictured on the floor of the kitchen at the shop, which prepares and sells fudge, sweets and chocolate
Grotty: Dead flies can be seen gathering in an electric fly killer in the kitchen
The floor and walls were damaged in some areas meaning that it was not possible to clean some parts of the kitchen.
Some equipment, including the cooker, outside the fridge, and worktops, was piled with new foodstuffs on top of old.
Surfaces were smeared with chocolate, fudge-making ingredients, grease and dirt, the court heard.
Health risk: Fudge is left sitting uncovered with a dirty stepladder leaning against it
Fined: The owner of Love to Fudge was fined 1,050 after admitting breaching hygiene regulations
Scarborough Borough Council Health and Community Safety Manager, Steve Pogson, said: 'This was a clear breach of the food hygiene legislation which is in place to protect the public.
'Food businesses are responsible for ensuring their premises are kept clean and maintained in good repair and condition to ensure they produce food in a safe and hygienic manner and in a clean environment.
'Poor levels of cleanliness are not acceptable and we will take action against those who do not comply with this basic hygiene requirement.'
Kappes was ordered to pay prosecution costs of 450 and a victim surcharge.
Grim: The dials of the cooker are barely visible through built up dirt and grime