Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/lebanont/public_html/wp-content/plugins/really-simple-facebook-twitter-share-buttons/really-simple-facebook-twitter-share-buttons.php on line 514
Ex-Sky News boss to investigate why it took three weeks to correct mistakes on blog that tried to justify cancellation of Newsnight Savile probe
Claims emerge that Peter Rippon was told his blog post was misleading the day after he wrote itBut BBC bosses took three weeks to publish a correctionAllegations to be investigated by Nick Pollard as part of broad investigation
10:42 GMT, 10 December 2012
The BBC faces further criticism over the Jimmy Savile scandal after it has emerged that managers knew a blog post justifying the cancellation of a Newsnight investigation into the disgraced presenter was misleading almost three weeks before a correction was issued.
Peter Rippon, the editor of Newsnight, was told that his post contained crucial errors the day after he wrote it in an attempt to explain his decision to pull the segment, which would have aired around the same time as gushing tributes to the veteran TV host.
Although he passed on the information to his superiors, the blog was not corrected for another 19 days, it has been revealed.
The latest revelation is set to be investigated by former Sky News boss Nick Pollard as part of a wide-ranging inquiry into the alleged cover-up over claims Savile was a paedophile.
Inquiry: Nick Pollard, formerly of Sky News, is investigating the BBC's handling of the Jimmy Savile scandal
Mr Rippon was widely criticised after it emerged that he had decided to cancel a Newsnight segment interviewing women who claimed to have been abused by Savile when they were underage girls.
On October 2, he took to a BBC blog to explain why the investigation had been pulled – but his post contained at least two major errors.
He wrote that the Newsnight investigation 'had no evidence against the BBC', and also said: 'We are confident that all the women we spoke to had contacted the police independently already.'
These claims were crucial to his argument that the segment had not been cancelled in order to protect the reputation of the Corporation, and that the BBC had not withheld evidence from the proper authorities.
Cover-up The cancellation of a Newsnight investigation into Savile's alleged paedophile activity has been ascribed to a desire to save the reputation of the BBC
However, two journalists who worked on the investigation emailed the editor on October 3 to inform him he was mistaken, according to The Times.
Meiron Jones and Liz MacKean pointed out that one of the witnesses, Karin Ward, had seen Gary Glitter abusing a girl in a BBC dressing room, and that she had not reported Savile to the police after he allegedly molested her.
Ms MacKean also sent the email to Steve Mitchell, deputy director of BBC News, while Mr Rippon reported his mistakes to Mr Mitchell as well as the Corporation's press office.
David Jordan, director of editorial policy and standards, was also made aware that the blog was misleading around the same time.
Casualties: Peter Rippon, left, and George Entwistle, right, have both stepped aside following the scandal
But it was not until October 22 – the day Mr Rippon stepped aside – that the BBC got around to publishing a correction in order to set the record straight.
A source told The Times that it was a deliberate decision not to correct the post straightaway, saying: 'There was no urgency about correcting it.
'There seems to have been a feeling that if they corrected it they might have to go back and correct it again.'
A BBC spokesman told MailOnline: 'Former head of Sky News Nick Pollard is leading an independent review into these matters. It would not be appropriate for the BBC or its staff to comment further until this has been concluded.'
The fall-out from the Savile scandal has led to the resignation of BBC director general George Entwistle as well as the removal of a number of other senior executives.