Retired Bedfordshire couple Trevor and Elizabeth Piggott had 500 litres of kerosene pumped into their luxury home, say it has to be demolished

Retired couple who had 500 litres of kerosene pumped into their luxury home, say it has to be demolished
Trevor and Elizabeth Piggott claim they will have to knock down and rebuild the five-bed bungalow in Little Billington, BedfordshireA oil company worker accidentally sent toxic liquid down the wrong pipeInsurers Lloyds TSB say it can be restored to its original state without demolition

|

UPDATED:

02:04 GMT, 2 December 2012

A retired couple say they must knock down and rebuild their 800,000 home, after 500 litres of toxic kerosene was accidentally pumped into it – but their insures refuse to pay the cost.

A heating oil delivery intended for their neighbours went disastrously wrong when a new tanker driver picked the wrong pipe and sent it gushing into their house in Little Billington, Bedfordshire.

Eleven months later, Trevor and Elizabeth Piggott have filed a High Court claim for the cost of rebuilding the five-bed detached bungalow.

Dispute: Trevor and Elizabeth Piggott say their home must be demolished and rebuilt after an oil company accidentally pumped 500 litres of kerosene into the property

Dispute: Trevor and Elizabeth Piggott say their home must be demolished and rebuilt after an oil company accidentally pumped 500 litres of kerosene into the property

Retired businessman Mr Piggott, 66,
said: 'We can't move back in because you can still smell the kerosene in
every corner of the house.

Our only recourse has been to go to law to
argue that to decontaminate it entirely it would need to be demolished and a new property built.'

The Piggotts are claiming damages 'in excess of 300,000' from oil company GB Oils, which admits responsibility and home insurer Lloyds TSB.

But a spokesman for Lloyds TSB said: 'We are confident Mr and Mrs Piggott's home can be restored to its
original state with no requirement for demolition.'

Mrs
Piggott said: 'You would hope insurance companies would be there for
you.

We just woke up one morning and lost our happy home of 14 years.'

Her
husband added:'We simply can't accept that we should have our home
seriously devalued and left stinking of dangerous chemicals.'