Sarah Ramoth: Teacher three times the drink-drive limit said she didn"t know there were spirits in mulled wine

Boarding school teacher three times the drink-drive limit claimed she had just two glasses of mulled wine… without realising it had spirits in it
Sarah Ramoth, 41, also blamed failed breath test on accidentally swallowing mouthwashThe head of chemistry is now having a report compiled on her claims

|

UPDATED:

09:48 GMT, 14 December 2012


'Two glasses': Sarah Ramoth, 41, told Harrogate Magistrates Court she was over the limit because she hadn't known her mulled wine had spirits in it

'Two glasses': Sarah Ramoth, 41, told Harrogate Magistrates Court she was over the limit because she hadn't known her mulled wine had spirits in it

A chemistry teacher who was almost three times the
drink-drive limit today blamed two glasses of mulled wine and mouthwash for her high reading.

Sarah Ramoth, 41, head of chemistry at
upmarket independent school Harrogate Ladies' College, told the
court that her mulled wine had turned out to have spirits in it.

Ms Ramoth, of Wakefield, West Yorkshire, also blamed the failed breath-test on accidentally swallowing mouthwash.

The teacher, who works at the boarding school where ex-Emmerdale actress Claire King was a pupil, will find out her fate in February, after reports have been compiled regarding her 'scientific' arguments.

During a brief hearing at Harrogate Magistrates Court today, her lawyer Ben Campbell said: 'The first argument is that this
defendant was not aware of the content of that which she had drunk.'

When pressed by magistrates for more detail, Mr Campbell added: 'She had drunk alcohol, less than two glasses of mulled wine.

'Plainly the reading given later on the fact of it appears inconsistent with that.

'It is understood, in fact, that what she drank was a mulled drink that she thought was red wine.

'She now understands it also contained other alcoholic substances by way of spirits.

'The other issue subject to medical reports or an expert report is that
this defendant had not only used mouthwash to clear her mouth but had
accidentally swallowed some.

Investigation called: The head of chemistry at upmarket independent school Harrogate Ladies' College, pictured, also blaming her reading on accidentally swallowing mouthwash

Investigation called: The head of chemistry at upmarket independent school Harrogate Ladies' College, pictured, also blaming her reading on accidentally swallowing mouthwash

'Therefore we will ask for an investigation into the effect that may have had on the reading that she subsequently gave.'

Martin Townend, prosecuting, told the court that just before 11pm on
December 7, Ramoth was seen in her vehicle on the hard shoulder of the busy
A1(M), driving from Harrogate to Wakefield.

When police approached her car, they could smell alcohol and arrested
her.

A breathalyser test at the police station gave a reading of
96mcgs of alcohol per 100mls of breath, where the legal limit is 35.

Magistrates adjourned the case until February next year.