Boy, 2, rushed to hospital with serious burns after drinking caustic soda from bottle he grabbed from shop shelf while mother wasn"t looking

Boy, 2, rushed to hospital with serious burns after drinking caustic soda from bottle he grabbed from shop shelf while mother wasn't lookingToddler is in a serious but stable condition in Manchester Children's HospitalA joint investigation has been launched by the police and trading standardsThe boy had been in a Moss Side cash and carry when he drank the chemical By Alex Gore PUBLISHED: 13:48 GMT, 17 January 2013 | UPDATED: 15:04 GMT, 17 January 2013 A young boy has been admitted to hospital with burns to his throat and stomach after he drank caustic soda while in a shop. Police were called shortly before 7.35pm on Monday by staff at the Manchester Children's Hospital after the two-year-old boy was admitted. The toddler was shopping with his mother when they went into the Safa cash and carry shop in Claremont Road in the Moss Side area of Manchester, on Sunday, a police spokesman said.