Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong sued by Sunday Times for 1million to recoup libel payout Sunday Times wants back the 300,000 they paid him in 2006, plus interestThey claim his original libel action was 'baseless and fraudulent'He is expected to lose out on 30million in sponsorship over next five years | UPDATED: 16:17 GMT, 24 December 2012 Cyclist Lance Armstrong is being sued by Sunday Times for the return of damages it paid him in 2006 Lance Armstrong is being sued by The Sunday Times for more than 1million after it lost a libel action to the disgraced cyclist for printing doping claims now known to be true. The Sunday Times paid Armstrong 300,000 in 2006 to settle a case after it reprinted claims from a book alleging that Armstrong had taken performance-enhancing drugs
Banker sacked ‘for being too successful’ in line for multi-million payout after winning Supreme Court fight against former employerRaphael Geys already argued his case in the High Court and Court of AppealHe claimed he had been dismissed without cause by bank Societe GeneraleTold High Court in 2010 that he doubled income of his division to 395millionSaid he was sacked for being too successful and bank considered provisions in his contract too generous Wrongful dismissal: Former bank executive Raphael Geys could claim damages A high-flying City banker who claimed that he was sacked for being ‘too successful’ today won a Supreme Court fight with his former employers. Judges ruled that Raphael Geys, former managing director of European fixed income sales for French bank Societe Generale, could claim damages for wrongful dismissal. Mr Geys – who was employed by the bank’s London branch and claimed that he had been dismissed without cause – had already argued his case in the High Court and Court of Appeal.
2m for victim of cancer unable to have children… but she wants even more following two botched smear tests by health board Helen McGlone had two smear tests but pre-cancerous cells not spotted The 33-year-old was forced to have a hysterectomy when it was discovered She sued for 20million for loss of earnings but was awarded 2million Lord Bannatyne rejected her claim at Edinburgh Court of Session Her lawyer said she is considering appealing the award | UPDATED: 21:13 GMT, 15 December 2012 Disappointed: Dr Helen McGlore, at Edinburgh Court of Session, sued for 20million after two smear tests failed to spot pre-cancerous cells A woman left unable to have children after a health board failed to spot her cancer has been awarded more than 2million in damages. Helen McGlone, 33, claimed medical negligence ended her prospects of a high-flying career in the financial sector and will force her to use a surrogate mother to have children.
Law to regulate the Press could be abused, warns PM David Cameron wants newspapers to agree to an independent self-regulation system without the need to pass a new lawLabour published its plan to enforce Leveson's proposals which calls for him to oversee a new regulator | UPDATED: 00:38 GMT, 11 December 2012 A Labour proposal to write regulation of the Press into law was shot down by David Cameron yesterday with a warning that MPs might in future abuse the change to extend their powers over the media. The Prime Minister said he wants newspapers to agree a system of independent self-regulation with tough penalties for wrongdoing as outlined by Lord Justice Leveson – but without the need to pass a new law.
Pub landlady sues brewery for 1m after she 'hanged herself' while putting Christmas decorations away Bolt attaching ladder to attic entrance came loose causing her to fallShe fell and hanged herself between the rungs of the ladder, suffering broken jaw, missing tooth and neck injuries | UPDATED: 13:30 GMT, 5 December 2012 Injured: Mira Bateman is suing brewery Brakspear for not providing her with 'proper access to the attic' A brewery is being sued by a pub landlady who accidentally 'hanged herself' while climbing the pub's ladder on New Year's Day. Mira Bateman, 57, was publican and tenant of The Plowden Arms, in Shiplake Cross, near Henley-on-Thames, when the accident occurred as she returned decorations to the attic
Retired couple who had 500 litres of kerosene pumped into their luxury home, say it has to be demolished Trevor and Elizabeth Piggott claim they will have to knock down and rebuild the five-bed bungalow in Little Billington, BedfordshireA oil company worker accidentally sent toxic liquid down the wrong pipeInsurers Lloyds TSB say it can be restored to its original state without demolition | UPDATED: 02:04 GMT, 2 December 2012 A retired couple say they must knock down and rebuild their 800,000 home, after 500 litres of toxic kerosene was accidentally pumped into it – but their insures refuse to pay the cost. A heating oil delivery intended for their neighbours went disastrously wrong when a new tanker driver picked the wrong pipe and sent it gushing into their house in Little Billington, Bedfordshire