'My bagpipes gave me pneumonia': Musician catches deadly fungal virus from his beloved instrument John Shone, 77, breathed in the deadly germs while playing his bagpipe The instrument hadn't been cleaned in 18 months and had 'fungal cultures'Traditional bagpipes are made of hide and need regular 'seasoning' to seal pores in the skin that acts as a natural cleanserMr Shone is now playing his bagpipe again after four weeks in hospital By Suzannah Hills PUBLISHED: 02:13 GMT, 14 March 2013 | UPDATED: 02:57 GMT, 14 March 2013 A bagpipe player nearly died after becoming infected with a fungal pneumonia that colonised inside his beloved instrument. John Shone spent four weeks in hospital fighting the infection after he breathed in germs from his bagpipe that he hadn't cleaned in 18 months.
Too 'snooty' for basic tasks: MP Ann Clwyd launches scathing attack on nurses that let husband die 'like a battery hen' Ann Clwyd said nurses' 'arrogance and indifference left me bewildered' Claimed that too many 'snooty-nosed penpushers' were becoming nursesSaid Mr Roberts had no clothes on and was 'extremely cold' when he died | UPDATED: 19:32 GMT, 9 December 2012 Happier times: Ann Clwyd, MP, with her husband Owen Roberts who died six weeks ago An MP who broke down over the neglect of her husband in hospital has accused nurses of being too ‘snooty’ to carry out basic tasks. Ann Clwyd wept in the Commons last week as she revealed how Owen Roberts had been allowed to die ‘like a battery hen.’ Miss Clwyd, a Labour MP for 28 years, has since claimed that too many ‘snooty-nosed penpushers’ were becoming nurses In an interview on the BBC’s Andrew Marr, she said: ‘When I sat at my husband’s bedside, I did wonder just why some of the so-called nurses bothered to put on their uniforms. ‘The arrogance and indifference of some left me bewildered.
A life worth living: Judge backs wife in fight to keep her husband alive after hospital tried to withhold treatment Doctors had wanted to withhold potentially lifesaving care from father Judge Justice Jackson overruled doctors yesterday saying they had undervalued the limited quality of life David James, 68, could still enjoyMr James went to hospital seven months ago with stomach complaint, but contracted pneumonia that led to multiple organ failureJudge described husband's relationship with his family as 'of the closest and most meaningful kind' and this carried 'great weight' in his decisionEmotional evidence heard relatives insisting Mr James smiled when they visited and enjoyed reading the newspaper and seeing his grandchildren | UPDATED: 23:15 GMT, 6 December 2012 The loving wife of a desperately ill musician yesterday won her fight to force a hospital to keep treating him. Doctors had wanted to withhold potentially lifesaving care from David James, 68.
Don't let doctors kill him: Family's plea in legal battle with hospital over 'death pathway' David James, 68, has suffered a host of health problems including pneumonia, a stroke, and a heart attackThe musician's family has accused the hospital treating him of secretly placing him on the Liverpool Care Pathway The unidentified hospital – which denies the claim – has launched a rare legal bid to withdraw Mr James' treatmentThe trust has argued the medication is causing the patient distress that is out of proportion to his limited chances of recovery | UPDATED: 01:55 GMT, 6 December 2012 A hospital was yesterday accused of secretly placing a 68-year-old musician on the Liverpool Care Pathway after launching a court battle against his family. David James was admitted to hospital with constipation last May but contracted pneumonia and had to be transferred to intensive care. The married grandfather has remained there since, suffering severe infections, the near failure of his kidneys, a stroke and a heart attack
Frail pensioner, 72, who was moved to care home for her own safety died after cracking six ribs in a game of football Rose Medlock developed pneumonia after the rib injury aggravated a lung conditionShe had been playing sit down football at Beechwood Gardens residential care home in Earlsdon, West Midlands, when she fellHusband John, 85, said his wife would still be alive if she had been at home with him Inquest recorded verdict of accidental death caused by bronchial pneumonia, fractured ribs and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.
Scandal of the poison pen-pushers: How doctors and patients are kept in the dark about potentially dangerous everyday drugs | UPDATED: 22:00 GMT, 1 December 2012 Tamiflu is supposed to be the miracle flu drug. Patients across the UK rely on it
Patient killed in oxygen explosion as a second dies in broken lift: Damning dossier reveals NHS failings that caused death First study shows 345 serious incidents in Scotland including 100 deathsPneumonia patient died after being left for nine days without medicationShocking report reveals another patient had wrong organs stapled together | UPDATED: 15:19 GMT, 26 November 2012 A horrifying catalogue of serious errors at NHS hospitals in Scotland has come to light, following a Freedom of Information request.