Teenager charged with murder of four siblings in house fire following party to celebrate mother’s birthdayDyson Allen, 19, had originally been arrested in connection with the fire in JanuaryHe was charged today ,police have tonight confirmedThe teenager will appear before magistrates in Blackpool tomorrow morning
A teenager has been charged with the murder of four siblings who died in a house fire, police have confirmed.
Dyson Allen, 19, will appear before magistrates in Blackpool tomorrow accused of murdering Reece Smith, 19, four-year-old twins Holly and Ella Smith, and Jordan Smith, two, Lancashire Police said.
They died after the blaze at a converted bungalow in Freckleton, between Blackpool and Preston last January.
Tragedy: Four-year-old twins Holly and Ella (pictured) lost their lives in the fire
Chaotic scenes: Reece Smith (left), 19, died in the fire along with his younger brother Jordan (right) and
his little sisters
Dyson, of no fixed abode, was
initially arrested in January and then bailed pending further inquiries
to an address outside Lancashire.
He was charged with four counts of murder this afternoon, police said.
major investigation was launched after emergency services were called
to the house on Lytham Road following a report of a fire just before
11.30pm on Saturday January 7.
The four siblings were taken to hospital following the fire but died later.
after Dyson's re-arrest yesterday, Detective Superintendent Dermott
Horrigan said: 'This is an extremely tragic and complex case and
detectives have, over the past 11 months, been working tirelessly to try
and piece together what happened that night, which has resulted in this
'The investigation is continuing and if anyone thinks they have any information that they think may be useful and have not yet come forward, I would urge them to do so.'
The fire began inside a wardrobe in one of the upstairs attic bedrooms at the house.
The victims' mother, Michelle Smith, 36, who has five other children, was led out of the house by firefighters.
The blaze took hold hours after the family held a party at the house to celebrate her birthday.
Close: Brave Reece Smith, left, with his father Martin
Post-mortem examinations showed that each victim died as a result of the effects of inhaling smoke.
Police said the victims were in two separate attic rooms at the property, which suffered limited fire damage but extensive smoke damage.
Smoke detectors were installed at the house but were not in working order.
Police said that it 'became clear' once fire investigators analysed the scene that the blaze was not accidental, though it is not believed an accelerant such as petrol had been used.
Wracked with pain: Grieving family and friends left emotional messages at the scene
Outpouring: A teddy bear sat among piles of floral tributes outside the converted bungalow, with an envelope reading 'Angels' just visible. Other neighbours left notes expressing their sadness following the fire
Community in mourning: Tiny Ella, Jordan and Holly were believed to have only lived in the house for three months
'All hell broke loose': Neighbours said fire crews rushed to the scene where four of the Smith family lost their lives