Ryan Harrison crushed to death by a train after argument at Guildford station

Three men arrested on suspicion of murder after man, 22, crushed to death by a train 'after argument at station'
Ryan Harrison, 22, was crushed between the platform and a trainHe was allegedly involved in a fight and pushed onto the tracksThe indent occurred on Saturday at Guildford station in Surrey
British Transport Police is treating the death as suspicious

Francesca Infant And Larisa Brown


00:57 GMT, 1 April 2013



06:44 GMT, 1 April 2013

A young man died when he became sandwiched between a railway platform and a departing train moments after a fight at a station.

It is understood that following a row with a group of men, Ryan Harrison either fell or was pushed down the side of the platform next to a stationary train.

The 22-year-old was killed minutes later when the train moved away, trapping him between it and the edge of the platform.

Three men are now being questioned on suspicion of murder in relation to the man's death.

Ryan Harrison

Ryan Harrison who was killed at Guildford railway station

Ryan Harrison (pictured left and right) died when he became sandwiched between a railway platform and a departing train moments after a fight at a station

Mr Harrison died just before midnight
on Saturday at Guildford station, Surrey. It is understood he had been
on a night out with a friend.

A family friend said Mr Harrison, of
Woking, Surrey, had moved with his dad to Spain to start a business but
came back in September last year.

Daloney Carlton, partner of Mr
Harrison’s father Tony, said: ‘He came back in September because he
missed his friends and moved in with his girlfriend.

‘I don’t know what happened but I think he was with his girlfriend at the station.

‘He was a lovely lad and his father is in pieces. He is flying back in a couple of days but can’t even talk at the moment.’

Arrests: Ryan Harrison died at Guildford railway station after a fight broke out

Arrests: Ryan Harrison apparently died at Guildford railway station after a fight broke out (file photo)

A spokesman for British Transport
Police confirmed the death was being treated as suspicious, though
reports that he had been stabbed appeared unfounded.

He said: ‘BTP officers are appealing for witnesses after a man died at Guildford rail station around 11.40pm on Saturday.

‘The man, a 22-year-old from Woking,
was involved in an altercation at the station shortly before being
fatally injured by a train.

‘Detectives are working to establish
the full circumstances surrounding the death, which is currently being
treated as suspicious.’

‘We’ll be checking whether the
incident was captured by CCTV cameras, but we know there were a number
of other people at the station at the time and want to hear from them.’

The British Transport police are appealing for witnesses to the crime on Saturday

Appeal: The British Transport police are looking for witnesses to the crime on Saturday (file photo)

Two men, both aged 19 and from Guildford, were arrested at the scene. A third man later handed himself in at a police station.

The railway station was closed for most of the night following the incident, only re-opening fully at around 9am yesterday.

Friends of Mr Harrison last night posted emotional tributes to him on Facebook.

Lesley Ann Penistone said: ‘The world
is a sadder place without you Ryan Harrison. God bless you, Jamie, Tony
and all your family and friends. RIP little love xxxxx’

Jake Lund wrote: ‘Can’t believe this has happened to such a nice person, rip Ryan.’

Nicola Fuller added: ‘RIP Ryan, lovely lad.’

Grant Marsh posted: ‘What a legend of a lad. RIP.’