Murder inquiry launched after man is gunned down with single shot to the headVictim in his 20s shot dead in Southampton flatWorried neighbours call police after hearing gun fire

Anna Edwards


14:40 GMT, 20 April 2013



16:02 GMT, 20 April 2013

A man is believed to have been assassinated after he shot in the head at a flat in Southampton today.

The victim, aged in his 20s, suffered a single gunshot wound to the head and was rushed to hospital but died before doctors could save him.

Detectives went to a house in the city's St Mary's Street shortly after 11am following a stream of 999 calls from worried neighbours, all reporting hearing a single gunshot.


The young victim was taken to Southampton General Hospital in a life-threatening condition, but has died

Police said that a Major Crime Team, led by the head of Hampshire CID, Detective Chief Superintendent Karen Cessford, had launched an investigation into the murder under the codenamed Operation Emetic.

'It is too early to give many details but the victim was believed to be a man aged in his 20s and he was shot inside a property in St Mary's Street,' said the spokesman.

Police and paramedics attended the residential street and were helped by members of the South Central Ambulance Services' hazardous area response team as well as three ambulance officers and a rapid response paramedic.

A spokesman for Hampshire Police said that no-one had yet been arrested in connection with the shooting.


The man was believed to be aged in his 20s and he was shot inside a property in St Mary's Street (pictured)

'We can confirm that officers were called to reports of a gun shot in Southampton at 11am today.

'A man was found injured in an address in St Mary's Street with what appeared to be gunshot wounds.

'The man was taken to Southampton General Hospital in a life-threatening condition where he has died.

'CID have started a major investigation and are at the scene to identify possible witnesses and preserve evidence. There are road closures and diversions in the area around St Mary's Street.

'Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Hampshire Major Investigation Team by phoning 101, quoting Operation Emetic,' the spokesman added.

Neighbours living near the flat said that they had seen a man carried outr to a waiting ambulance.

Carl Lowes said: 'Police told me that a man had been shot in the head. There were police and ambulances everywhere.

'It was quite shocking,' added the 20-year-old.

Other local residents told of seeing police armed with guns arriving at the flat soon after 11am.

'They are still out here and have been joined by forensic science officers,' said another neighbour, who asked not to be named.